I’m having a serious thanksgiving craving moment (think cinnamon butternut squash, crispy turkey & cranberry sauce)… I’M DROOLING. My aunt hosts thanksgiving every year and she called me this week to chat about thanksgiving plans etc. which just got me too excited for this delicious holiday. I know it’s over a month away but I couldn’t stop thinking about it so naturally what do I do? BRING IT TO THE BLOG!
I thought it was a little crazy to go full fledged thanksgiving dinner on you guys but hey we can bring in bits and pieces of it right?
My 3 absolute favorite ingredients:
- Cranberry Sauce
- Butternut squash (I might even like it more than mashed potatoes…I know CRAZY)
I couldn’t stop thinking of those ingredients so I thought what the hell why not throw them all together in some delicious way that resulted in Cranberry Butternut Squash Salad.
When I say there is no better salad I truthfully mean it.
This salad was a bit of an experiment for me, not really dabbling much in salad recipes for the blog because truth be told I feel like they’re a bit boring. I personally love salads for lunch with a heaping of add ons but for the blog I just felt salad recipes fell short.
Well mark my words I WAS WRONG!
This salad recipe is like no other and is so damn easy to make I will be eating it on repeat for lunch all this week.
It takes a bit of prep time with cooking the turkey legs and roasting of the butternut squash but I mean hey what are Sundays for if they aren’t for meal prepping? 😉
ok so fore warning this recipe is a 3 part recipe so the post is going to be a bit stocked but I think better to give you all the deliciousness up front than in 3 separate posts so you can’t even make it until all three posts come out…RIGHT?
Ok here we go!
Roasted Butternut Squash Recipe
- 1 whole cubed Butternut squash
- 3 tbsp. Olive Oil
- 2 tsp. cinnamon
- 1 tsp. nutmeg
- 1 tsp. black pepper
- 1 tsp. salt
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees, line baking sheet with foil.
- Cut butternut squash into 1 inch bite sized cubes.
- Add cubes into medium sized bowl.
- Add in olive oil, cinnamon, nutmeg, black pepper & salt. Toss to coat.
- Once tossed transfer to foil lined baking sheet in a single layer.
- Bake on 425 degrees for 35-40 minutes. When edges are browned and cubes are soft/ tender remove from oven.
Baked Turkey Leg Recipe
- 3 Turkey legs
- Garlic Salt
- Dried Thyme
- Dried Parsley
- Black pepper
- 6 tsp Olive Oil
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Rinse turkey legs under cold water and pat dry.
- Take your olive oil and rub all over turkey legs massaging into the skin (2 tsp. per leg)
- Sprinkle (evenly) each leg with desired amount of garlic salt, thyme, parsley, and black pepper.
- Place turkey legs on to wire rack (I used my cookie cooling rack) over a baking pan in the oven (to catch the grease).
- Cook 45 mins, flip turkey legs and cook for an additional 45 minutes.
- Take out of oven and let stand for 10 minutes
Cranberry Butternut Squash Salad Recipe
- Mixed greens of choice (I used leafy red romaine, spinach & arugula)
- 1/2 cup butternut squash
- 1/2 cup shredded chicken
- 1 tbsp dried sugar free cranberries
- Chopped cucumber
- Thinly sliced red onion
- chopped red pepper
- 1/4 cup pine nuts
- crumbled goat cheese
- Balsamic vinegar & olive oil (for dressing)
- Chop lettuce cucumber, red onion & red pepper, place in large bowl
- Shred turkey off of bone.
- Top salad with cranberries, shredded turkey, butternut squash, goat cheese & pine nuts.
- Drizzle desired amount of olive oil and balsamic on top of salad
Now that you have your thanksgiving cravings curbed take a peek at my Salt & Vinegar Kale Chips recipe for those days when all you want is crispy potato chips!