Homemade Chai Cupcakes with Chai Buttercream
This recipe is completely homemade, but is surprisingly very easy. It does require a good amount of different ingredients, but they can easily be found at your local grocery store. I hadn’t ever made homemade cupcakes, and this was very easy for me to recreate.
Vanilla Chai Cupcakes
- 3 sticks unsalted butter, room temperature
- 2 cups sugar
- 5 large eggs, room temperature
- 1 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 cup buttermilk
Chai Spice Mix
- 3 teaspoon ground cardamom (optional! I did not use this, and they still taste delicious!)
- 3 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
Combine the chai spice mix ingredients in a small bowl, and set aside. Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
Line cupcake tin with paper liners, and lightly spray with cooking spray. In a large bowl cream together the butter, and sugar until very light and fluffy.
Add the eggs one at a time, beating after each egg added. Add the vanilla extract and mix.
In separate large bowl combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and half of the chai spice mix.
Slowly add the dry ingredients and buttermilk to the batter. Mix until just combined.
Fill muffin liners 2/3 full, and bake for 24 minutes.
Cool completely and frost with Chai Buttercream!
Chai Spiced Buttercream
- 4 sticks unsalted butter, room temperature (Truth: I left my butter in the microwave too long trying to soften it and it was more melted butter, It made the buttercream so! soft and delicious)
- Pinch of kosher salt
- 2 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 batch of chai spice mix
- 5 cups powdered sugar
Beat butter, salt, and vanilla until light and fluffy. Add the chai spice mix until combined. Add the powdered sugar, one cup at a time, beating after each cup added. Beat until light and fluffy.
I hope you all enjoy this delicious cupcake recipe!